Friday, February 1, 2008

Tiger Woods is Good (Really Really Good)





This week and a study came out that stated that when Tiger Woods is playing in a tournament the field plays on average 1 stroke worse that they play when Tiger is not competing.

The article goes onto stay that the field is intimidated by Tiger's presence.

I am not debating whether or not Tiger is the greatest golfer in the world, there is no doubt in my mind that he is (just look at the official world rankings).

I would just like to point out one little detail that I did not see in any of the summaries that I have read. Tiger only plays in 15-18 tournaments a year (that are sanctioned by the PGA) and they tend to be the most prestigious tournaments played on the best courses*. I have no idea about the numbers (and I am waaaay to lazy to look), but I would bet that a lot of these tournaments would play tougher even if Tiger was sitting at home.

I can understand being intimidated playing in the same group as Tiger, but if you are 5 groups ahead of him I can't imagine it affecting your game too much.


On another note, how crazy is it that in a competition, with a 150+ competitors, one guy is the clear cut favorite to win every time he shows up?


Oh and this is my new favorite golf hole...


From (Sports Rumbling)


* Best meaning more challenging, tougher, more difficult, the winner does not shoot 26 under and the next 4 runners up 25 under, etc. etc.