Thursday, February 21, 2008

I am almost excited by the NBA

After all the trades (Gasol, Shaq, half of Seattle's team, Big Ben, etc. etc.) I can almost see myself being excited by the second half of the season. I even watched most (95%) of the Suns-Lakers game.

That is the most of an NBA game I have watched since I actually went to the Q two years ago with D Funk and watched him sneak in a giant roast beef sandwich from Arby's (in a giant aluminum wrapper) as I get stopped by security because I had some gum in my pocket and set off the metal detector.

Anyhow, as long as the NBA decides to toss the script away and let the games be truly contested in the second half of the season and the playoffs I might have to watch one or two games.

As far as a quick (probably totally wrong, since I never watch) analysis of the big trades:

Gasol to the Lakers makes them a very tough team, this will be even more true when Andrew Bynum comes back from injury.

Shaq to the Suns will turn out to be better than most experts think. Shaq is a veteran and will find a way to fit in with the team. The Suns looked good with him in the second half last night, the Lakers were just better.

Spurs pick up Kurt Thomas to help on the interior defense to let Tim Duncan concentrate on offense. It can never hurt to free up your best player to score more points.

Jason Kidd to the Mavs: I don't think this helps them keep up with the Suns, Lakers and Spurs.

Ben Wallace and Wally Szczerbiak to the Cavs. I have no idea if this is a good trade or a trade that was made just for the sake of saying "Hey LeBron we made a trade to help you". I guess we will find out. (It seems like some people are a lot more excited about this trade than I am. Dan Shanoff thinks the 4 guys Cleveland picked up could be the other 4 starters with LeBron)

Countless other trades took place that I a) don't care about or b) don't know enough about to really comment on (not that a lack of information usually stops me).

No comments: